Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pin 20

Original Pin:
Fluffy Cake Doughnuts Recipe
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/fluffy-cake-doughnuts/detail.aspx

I didn't plan for this pin this week. Luke has had a rough week with his asthma and when he woke up last night, I promised to make him something fun for breakfast in the morning.  He didn't forget and this morning asked for donuts. In a round about way two Christmases ago I basically bought myself a Bella Cucina donut maker (I have a weakness for kitchen gadgets) and I have spent the last 15 months experimenting to find a good, and easy, recipe. The recipe that came with the maker just tastes too much like vegetable oil to me. I have experimented with all sorts of different combinations. Some good, and some were not so good. None were downright awful. 

So I decided to make these that I had pinned a while back. When I noted that there was cinnamon and nutmeg in the batter, I decided instead of icing to use cinnamon and sugar for topping. They baked up nicely in the Bella and I dipped them in melted butter and then cinnamon and sugar. They were delicious. When I was real young my dad used to work at the State Fair of Texas every season in a donut stand where they fried up these delicious little donuts. These reminded me of them. The recipe made at least four dozen or so mini donuts, it was hard to count because we couldn't stop eating them as they were finished. The leftovers sat on the counter all afternoon and every time we walked by we would sneak one. I sent a bunch with my sister as they stopped by on their way out of town.  They were all gone within twelve hours. The boys had them again after their afternoon naps. 

They do contain sugar and white flour and all those things we are supposed to be cutting back on. Whole grain donuts just don't sound good but maybe I could replace the white flour with wheat. It's probably why they were so darn good. I can at least feel good about them not being fried or store bought.

Luke requested a few chocolate.
Total cost: $0. I had everything on hand.

Total time: 5 minutes to mix together, plus baking time--about 4-5 min per batch of 7 donuts

Final verdict: Delicious. Best donut I've made in the Bella so far. I am going to have to put forth an effort to not make these every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment